Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Why I own an Assault Rifle



Why I Own An Assault Rifle

What is it that makes someone want to buy an assault rifle? The reasons are as
numerous as days in the month. In my career, I sold hundreds of AR's, AK's, HK's, SKS's, and many other assorted civilian-ized military type rifles.

What was the most common trait with them all, was how they look.
Most have a “banana” magazine, pistol grip, and are a carbine, (carbine is a shorten rifle) and look aggressive.

One of the first aggressive looking rifles is the Thompson mod. 1927, or
(Tommy Gun). The Tommy had forward and rear pistol grips, it could take a drum magazine and was fully automatic. It was originally marketed to ranch owners for home protection and sold for about $50.00. The rifle could be purchased at the local hardware store. That was the era when it could take days for help to arrive.

The National Firearms act of 1934, in short regulated the sale of fully automatic weapons and created other weapons categories.
What brought this law on was the actions of criminals.

Jumping forward through time the designs of weapons have changed, to suite the demands of the new battlefields and tactics. The adaptation of former military weapons to civilian use is as old as war.

What all modern military type rifles have is an aggressive look, and that look is what can save you. In other words if you are caught in an natural disaster such as Katrina, in New Orleans where bands of marauders were looting and killing.
At a distance of hundreds of yards away everyone can tell you are well armed and predators have been known to retreat at the sight of such a weapon. With this rifle
you can protect your family without firing a shot.

If you do have to shoot, most civilian-ized rifles are very accurate and can be deadly.
The limitation of the AR type rifle is the cartridge the .223/ 556mm is a varmint size round. With proper shot placement it can kill, but but it is not known as a killing cartridge. I was taught that the U.S. Military adopted the 556 mm due to the effectiveness of the 6.5mm used by the Japanese in WW2.

The objective of combat is to take land.
If you wound one man, it takes two other men to drag him off.
You have removed three men from the fight and your men can take over there positions.

The other reasons people have told me why they want to own an assault rifle is simple. They are very fun to shoot, they look cool, ammo was fairly cheap and
my favorite, I want one because “I am an American. I will allow myself to be governed but will not allow myself to be ruled”.

The National Firearms act of 1934 did not outlaw fully automatic weapons, it regulated them. I understand in states that have the right to form militias they can own fully automatic weapons. Standard background checks are performed and transfer taxes paid to the federal government.
In Washington State we are one of 8 states that cannot own fully automatic weapons. In our state constitution we have the individual right to bare arms.
We do not have the right to form a militia.
With my vote I express my opinion as to who I think will continue to support my rights. So knee jerk politicians cannot infringe upon them due to the actions of criminals.


For those who ask why do you need an assault rifle?

I say right now it's a Want.
When the day comes that I Need one, you will Need one too.


Be safe and Keep Your Powder Dry”
Terry the Gun Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment